February 24, 2012

Country music's Eric Durrance scores with debut

Author's note: One of the music sites I write for has purged more than 50,000 stories from his database as part of its "overall," and unfortunately, some of the stories its deleted were stories I penned that were popular with readers. In turn, I will be posting several of these deleted stories here on my personal blog so readers still have access to them. ... Thanks for reading.




Country music's Eric Durrance scores with debut

With production support from Teddy Gentry, co-founder of country super-group Alabama, new artist Eric Durrance has leapt onto the CMT video scene and U.S. country charts.

Country singer-songwriter Eric Durrance is no stranger to the Billboard charts, thanks to his past radio success with the now-disbanded Big Dismal, a Christian-rock act that was named one of "Five Christian Bands on the Rise" by Rolling Stone and hit No. 3 on the Christian charts with itsReality single.

In spite of the group’s positive fan and radio reception and the critical acclaim of its May 2003Believe album for Wind-Up Records, Big Dismal disbanded in ’07 and its members, including frontman Durrance, moved on to other musical projects.

New Country Music CD Lands on Billboard Country Charts

These days, the Florida-reared lead singer/guitarist is again making the music scene, but this time, on the country music charts with his debut solo CD and its first single, both titled Angels Fly Away, that was released digitally Sept. 16, 2008, by Wind-Up’s Nashville division. The 11-song album landed in the No. 70 spot on Billboard’s Hot Country Albums during the first week of November.

For some, the move from Christian to country music might seem like an attempt to take advantage of the youth-infused wave of new country hitmakers that Nashville seems to be riding. But for Durrance, who grew up on a Tallahassee farm with both gospel and country music influences, the jump to his label’s Nashville side is merely a natural progression.

Growing up, the self-taught musician "learned to play a little bit of everything,” he has said. “My stepfather was a drummer, guitarist, piano player and one heck of a singer, and my mom and grandfather taught me to sing harmony.

“My grandparents … they’re strong and faithful individuals who taught me to be honest and follow my heart and they just love George Jones,” he added. “So I’m at home in country."

New Country Singer Boasts Big-Name Producer Backing

Durrance’s new album, Angels Fly Away, has big-name talent behind it, with producer credit from Teddy Gentry, a founding member of Alabama who’s worked with country group Emerson Drive, and Mark Bright, who’s produced contemporary country stars Rascal Flatts and Carrie Underwood, among others.

"I’m really a songwriter first and I always put the song first,” Durrance shared, recalling the recording experience. “Teddy and I were completely in tune with one another when it came to selecting the right songs for this project. He’s helped us to put together a strong collection of musical stories that I think will turn the listeners’ ear and then they’ll hear it with heart.

"Like good wine, Teddy taught me that a good country song has to ‘breathe.’ I learned the importance of ‘tension and release,’” he continued. "When I worked with Mark, he pushed me to my full potential; I really learned to stretch my vocal range and his philosophy is to ‘mark’ your music. …"

Getting the chance to work with Gentry and Bright was a boon for Durrance, but the project, in a sense, was bittersweet since his former manager, Dan Goodwin, was killed in a motorcycle accident in December 2007. The new country hitmaker, who likens their partnership to a “father/son” relationship, has shared that the current CD “captures everything” he and Godwin worked toward. In turn, Durrance dedicated Angels Fly Away to his late manager.

"He gave me freedom and reined me in to guide me when I needed it,” Durrance revealed. “From a business perspective, he watched out for my best interests and reminded me to listen to my heart; from a personal perspective, he was my ‘heart and soul’ manager. This CD has Dan’s spirit throughout."

Country Songs Come that Come from the Heart

Influenced by the harmonious sounds of The Eagles and the in inherent lyrical simplicity of tunesmiths such as Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson, Durrance professed that he writes music from the heart.
“I like to write music that puts body and soul out there and has a magical way of saying what everyone feels. I like to be real and I believe a good, honest song is the key to an artist’s success."
Recently, Country Music Television recognized Durrance’s country-fan appeal and tapped the new guy on the block to serve as the opener on the CMT on Tour ’08 bill, with headliner Jason Aldean and Lady Antebellum.

CMT Tour Earns Durrance Country Fans, Country Music Video Success

Although the CMT bill afforded Durrance and his six-man band only 20 minutes on stage each night, the versatile artist made the most of his spotlight time and earned a bevy of new country fans during the 20-date tour. As evidence, just-released music video, Turn It Off, is featured on CMT and a fan favorite, including a live-version video.

“The tour has gone great,” Durrance said in a recent interview with Suite 101. “I feel like I have grown so much since it started. Lady A and Jason Aldean have been a pleasure to work with … (and) next for me is some good time at home with the family. “But I have to say, the CMT tour has been a dream come true in so many ways. I’ve really done a lot of soul searching and growing as a person and artist; that’s what the road does to you.”

Sources
Big Dismal, Wikipedia entry, Accessed Nov. 22, 2008.
Eric Durrance, artist bio. Courtesy of Wind-Up Records.
Personal communication, Eric Durrance, Nov. 19, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment